It's been a little while since I've posted but sometimes I feel like there's just not much to tell. The thing about laying in bed is that the more you do it, the lazier you get. Today has actually been a busy morning. I showered which takes a little while. We got a package yesterday that included shampoo for me and I am so thankful to be smelling fruity fresh instead of like the boy soap that Beau bought for us. Also, we got a package from my co-workers this morning. That took a little while to sift through and digest. I have to take this opportunity to thank them all for their extreme generosity. I work with such good people. I can't even begin to tell you how thankful I am for each of them.
I thought I'd try and fill you in on a conversation I had with one of my doctors a couple of days ago. This poor guy obviously drew the short straw and had to come down here and have me sign some paperwork acknowledging that I new the risks of the c-section that I may have to have. Poor guy then had to say, do you have any questions. I did.
I see doctors everyday but usually they wake me up around 6 and I'm not with it enough to process a real conversation. As this exchange was in the evening, I had my questions ready. Every so often someone would mention something to the effect of, "If you have to have an emergency c-section". I wanted to know just how quickly this emergency business would happen. Apparently if they deemed it emergency, Gaines would be here in about 15 -20 minutes. Crazy. He broke it down like this: 3-4 minutes to get you to the OR, 4-5 minutes to knock me out (an epidural is preferred but not doable in an emergency) and about 4 minutes to get the baby out. I'm sure I'm missing some other part because that doesn't really add up but you get the drift.
I'm still a little unsure as to what constitutes an emergency but I did find out that even a hint of infection (even if no labor is started), the baby is coming out...quickly. I asked what that meant and from what I understand, two instances of a fever could do it. Most of the time the fever would be accompanied by some sort of symptoms. It could be symptoms of something like a respiratory infection or symptoms of an infection around Gaines. If it was infection around Gaines, they'd obviously take him. If it was a fever with no symptoms they'd still take him. Apparently the risk to Gaines would be too high to wait to determine what the fever would be from if there were no symptoms. Basically, when Gaines is born he'll be a preemie (there is no way they'd let us go past 34 weeks) so the last thing he needs is an infection to fight off on top of everything else. I don't know that any of that makes sense but it helped us understand a little bit more.
I'll go for now. I want to rest before Reed gets here. He made it to Atlanta safely and will be here hopefully in about 2 hours. I was worried about them landing here as it was stormy weather this morning but the blue sky is out now. Answered prayers. Please keep praying for us. By my count, only 11 days until 28 weeks.
Love to all,