Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Longer Post

Sorry for such a quick post before. Reed was sleeping and sometimes I have to take advantage of that time to get things done and this blog can't always be at the top of that list. Luckily he's still sleeping so I should have a few minutes. I say luckily because they are doing construction on the fitness center here (which is right above our little apartment). Some how they always know when the second half of Reed's nap is and they start hammering away on something. I just hold my breath and pray he sleeps through it. Reed without a full nap can be a handful.

Anyway, Gaines is continuing to do well today. Like I said, his oxygen is hanging out between 35-40%. Of course I'd like that to be lower but after talking to the doctor this morning I just don't see that happening right this minute. She believes that Gaines' increased oxygen is due to the VSDs in his heart. She thinks those holes will have to start healing before the oxygen begins to come down. Some of it is also due to his prematurity. She also thinks that he will be on the lasiks or some other diuretic for the foreseeable future. He could even go home on them. She told me Monday that it was her goal to get us out of here this month...mine too.

Gaines' weight is up again. He's now 4 lbs 10.2 oz. Little piggy. He had to get a quick bath this morning while I was there and the nurse actually put him in the water (instead of a sponge bath)for a minute. He really seemed to like it. I think we have another bath lover on our hands. Also, yesterday afternoon he had his eyes open and was really looking around. He was SO cute. I've always thought he was beautiful but he just looked really cute yesterday with his eyes open. I guess because they aren't open much. Because of his hat pushing down and his CPAP pushing up (and him just being a preemie) it's hard for him to open his eyes much. Whenever we get to see them its a real treat.

My grandparents were here last night and today so Gaines got to meet his great-grandparents on my dad's side. He actually has a great-great grandmother on that side that we hope he gets to meet soon. My grandparents and their friends were traveling through on vacation and stopped to see us for a few days. It was so good to see them. They (as have the rest of our family members) have been awesome through this whole thing.

I better run for now...I hear Reed rustling around. Please continue to keep Gaines and our family in your prayers.

Love to all,

Brittany

4 comments:

Cary said...

I am so tickled that Gaines is continuing to improve! He is adorable and so is his big brother Reed! I know you both will be so happy to have all the Daniels' at home together!
Thoughts and prayers headed your way............

Cary in B'ham.

Ruthie said...

In the pictures you posted yesterday, or the day before... I could really tell that Gaines has gotten bigger! Praying for him each day, and for the rest of you too!!!

Ruthie

Karen said...

Good Morning,

I was sent a link to your blog by a fellow friend, Katie. I wanted to let you know you now have another prayer warrior praying for your family. My son was born at 28 wks 5 days in July 07 and spent 69 days in the NICU so I can certainly relate to the emotions you are going through right now. As you know already, you will have good days & not so good days but there is a light ahead, it will just take a little more time to get to it. I always try to remember a little saying "it won't be like this for long"...in fact I think that's a lyric from a recent song :-) Thank you for sharing your journey and I look forward to your posts!

Karen

Donna said...

Brittany and Beau,

Continuing to pray for you all. Glad to hear that Gaines is doing well. Every time I see the road signs on I-95 saying Washington, I think of you all and say a prayer for you. I live about 30 miles south of DC.

Thanks for keeping us all up to date on Gaines.

Hope you have a great day!