Monday, September 14, 2009

Hibernating

Things are still going really well with Gaines. We’ve been a little MIA lately trying to settle into a new family of four routine. I think we are getting the hang of it. Gaines is doing really well on his oxygen at home and passed his blood gas test this morning with no problems. The thing we are most concerned about with him are his feedings. We are trying to figure out a schedule that gives him all the volume of formula that he needs every day. There are many times when he just will not take his bottle because he is so asleep. Not a huge deal with a regular baby…you just get off schedule. With Gaines, if he misses a feeding he misses a lot of nutrients that he needs to help his lungs continue to heal. I’m trying to not let it stress me out but I’ve caught myself twizzling my hair a lot today…a sure sign that I’m worried about something or deep in thought. We go to the pediatrician tomorrow so I’m hoping that he will be able to offer some insight.

We have a lot of appointments right off the bat but I think after the initial ones they will settle down some. We will also have home health nurses coming by twice a week to keep an eye on him. Nothing major, I think they just check weight, temp etc and look for any problems that we could be missing. I’m also trying to get Gaines enrolled in Alabama ’s Early Intervention Program. This is a program for babies/toddlers that are 25% or more behind in their development. The program will provide free therapists that will come to our house and work with Gaines. This is wonderful since many insurance policies do not cover physical type therapies. I haven’t researched mine yet but either way, I think it will be great for Gaines to get a little extra help.

I’ve been doing his stretches and working on his neck strength and I think they are both getting better. That could just be his mama talking but I think I see improvement.

I’m sure there are a million other things I’m forgetting to tell but that’s about all I’ve got for now.

Oh, Reed and Gaines seem to get along just fine. Reed likes Gaines and is interested in him but doesn’t get in his face and love all over him which I think is a very good thing right now. He knows which things belong to Gaines (“Jaines’ bed, Jaines’ chair”, etc) and looks for him in the mornings…once he remembers him.

My mom is staying with us this week and has been really helpful. We gave Gaines a bath last night and I think he really enjoys his little tub. He cried when he had to get out. Maybe he’ll get a bath the next time he wants to sleep through a feeding!

One more thing…this morning Jack (who sits on the back of the couch and looks out the window all day) saw something outside…probably a squirrel, so he started barking like crazy. Well Reed ran over there, jumped on the same couch and started barking and howling out the window as well. It might not be that funny to read about but it was hilarious this morning. We’ve also caught him several times walking around with toys in his mouth…kind of like how Jack carries them. He is such a funny little boy.

Reed had a runny nose over the weekend so please pray that it doesn’t turn into anything more and that Gaines’ appetite picks up soon. Other than those two things, we are doing great and loving life at home…hibernating for the winter.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Sounds like things are going pretty well, all but for the times Gaines wants to sleep instead of eat. So glad Reed is accepting to Gaines.

The Sterling Family said...

I've never left a comment before, but I've been praying for your family since your early days in the hospital. I hope you are able to get Gaines in the Alabama early intervention program. Early intervention works! My son was very far behind in communication and in gross motor skills. He had the opposite problem, very low tone. Now at 3, he's caught up--even ahead in some areas! (Interestingly, his PT had very high tone, but it wasn't CP.) I'm praying that Gaines will catch up quickly, that his little lungs continue to heal, and that your entire family (including the nanny) stay healthy this year.
Oh, the barking thing is very cute!

Amy said...

So glad to hear things are off to a good start!
I'm curious... will Reed be staying home with your nanny too, or just Gaines?

Thanks for continuing to update - it is so great to hear how you are doing! You all continue to be in our prayers!

Diana said...

Glad to hear that things are going so well. We are continuing to pray for you guys. I am so glad that you are getting some time off of work to adjust. We will be praying for no infections at all. We have children with respiratory issues, so we know how serious they can be.