Tuesday, September 14, 2010


Gaines had his surgery yesterday and we are now at home.  Everything went really well.  The doctor said that his hernia was "huge" and he had to make two incisions but other than that, everything went as expected.  He went on and came off the ventilator fine. 

Poor Gaines is now in the recovery period.  I think he's doing remarkably well considering his circumstances but he's definitely feeling it.  They kept us in the hospital overnight and Gaines slept most of the day yesterday.  He seems much more himself today.  We get little smiles and he's playing some.  Gaines on Loratab is not that bad of a deal.  He's sweet and snuggly and not all of the place.  I'll be glad when the real Gaines is back but I'm enjoying this snuggly one right now. 

I better run, I just got up from a nap and its my turn to care for the patient.  I tell you...this was one of the worst nights sleep in a hospital for me.  None of them are ever good but Gaines slept so restlessly...it was rough.  And I'd estimate that Gaines pulled my hair 837 times.  By pull, I do not mean a gentle tugging, I mean he grabs a handful of hair and yanks with all of his might. We've really got to work on that. 

Thank you for all of the prayers.  Gaines did great and so did I.  I know it was because of all the prayers yesterday. 

Love to all,



natalie said...

My daughter had surgery when she was just a little over 3 years old on her foot. Her pain med was loratab. She tolerated it pretty well, but our absolute favorite story happened the second night we were home. It was close to bedtime and she was getting rather tired. I laughed at something she did (and by laughed, I mean a gentle giggle) and she grabbed my face, squeezing it between her two little hands and said (in a devil voice), "I have feelings. YOU DO NOT HAVE FEELINGS." At which point, I put her to bed.

So glad everyone is doing well.

Anonymous said...

So glad the surgery is behind Gaines! It's hard to believe how much time has passed since I found your blog--not long after he was born. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since those days... Life is definately pretty normal sounding these days :) Take care, Kathy

Diana said...

So glad you guys have have that behind you! Praying for an easy recovery!