Sunday, July 24, 2011

Reed's Trip Around the World

We've been on an adventure this afternoon.  While Gaines was taking his afternoon nap Reed told Beau and me that he was going on a trip around the world.  We had a fairly lengthy discussion about how he was going to get around (walk), what he was going to eat (pizza), what he'd do if he got thirsty (he was going to take a "nice, cool drink of lemonade" with him) and what he was going to pack. 

This question prompted him to get his little blue suitcase out of his closet.  With our advice of not to pack too many books because it would be too heavy, he decided on:  one book, baby jaguar (a stuffed tiger that we call a jaguar), 1 matchbox car, 4 pairs of "baseball shorts", a t-shirt and 6 pairs of underwear.  He figured he'd only be gone 5 days, so that was enough.  I asked where he planned to stay and he told me he'd just stay at the first good place he came too.

So, once he packed up I walked him to the door and kissed him goodbye.  I watched out the window to see what he would do.  When he was halfway down the driveway I grabbed the camera and ran outside.  He didn't know I was watching him as he walked up the neighbors' driveway and stood at their front door.  While he was figuring out what he was going to do, their dogs gave him away and our neighbor came out.  She talked to him for a minute or two before I went over and suggested we go home for lemonade.  He wasn't really into that...he wanted to go inside.  I mentioned their big dogs and we decided it was best that he move on.  Some how he got it in his head that we needed to visit five houses. 

So, with Reed in the lead and me following only to take pictures and keep him from getting run over, he stops at another neighbor's who is out cutting his grass.  Reed told him what he was doing and the guy was nice but went back to cutting his grass.  Reed approached him again and the guy stopped again.  This time he turned the mower off and I heard Reed say, "Aren't you going to let me in?"  Embarassed, I kind of excused us and suggested that we visit another neighbor out working in his yard. 

He got invited in at this stop and was given a little snack for his bag.  He discussed with both neighbors what he was doing for a minute or two before we moved on.  All this time Reed has not been one bit afraid to approach these people.  We know them all, but I wouldn't have thought he would be this un-shy.  Anyway, after this stop, I suggested the lemonade again as I'm trying to wrap this little trip up.  I didn't see anyone else outside and I hated to knock on someone's door.  Sunday afternoon naps and all.  So, I convinced him to go back home and take his daddy with him. 

He and Beau left and hit neighbor number 4's house.  She was in her backyard and came around and Reed filled her in on his trip and they moved on to house number 5.  This part is hard for me to believe.  He and Beau just marched up to this older couple's house who we kind of know...but not really.  Anyway, they ring the doorbell and the older lady invites them in.  They march on in and sit down.  Reed unzips his bag and proceeds to show her everything he has with him.  All this time I was at home with Gaines and kind of starting to wonder where they were.  Oh, they were just sitting in a semi-random lady's living room having a leisurely Sunday afternoon chat. 

On the way back to the house, Reed looked at Beau after visiting 5 houses and said, "Taking a trip around the world sure is a lot of hard work".

Anyway, that's about the extent of it but I had to write it all down before I forgot.  Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.  Also, there is a post from a few days ago under this one that updates you on most of our goings own as of late. 

Love to all,

Brittany




            

5 comments:

NICOLE said...

I love the fact that he is traveling around the world with no shirt! As the mom of two boys, I know that traveling clothes are dollop not important! Too cute

kellie said...

I love, love, love this! Reed is just about the cutest little boy I know, and I wish you'd bring him down for a visit soon!

Christine Sims said...

This is absolutely adorable. Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us. You will be sooooo glad you documented it.

Lori said...

He has quite the imagination. But only one shirt packed? Hmmmmm. Cute story.

Stacy Brown said...

The trip around the world is too cute!