Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Children Are Awesome and Other Facts

Last night Beau had a work thing so it was just me and the boys.  Earlier in the day I'd started thinking about turning off our tv in the afternoons and evenings.  I don't know that the boys watch it too much...but it seems like its always on. 

Anyway, Beau was gone and the tv was off so I made a point to not worry with getting the house straight or whatever else I "needed" to do and I just really played with the boys...it was so fun.  They are such awesome kids!  We had plenty of time because Reed begged for dinner until I finally gave in at 4:58...and to be completely honest, there wasn't much clean-up to our dinner of frozen waffles. 

Reed and I played football while Gaines brought me every single book we own...which is a lot.  Every time he's bring me a book he'd tell me "tan tu" (thank you).  Gaines can be so sweet sometimes...and that boy loves his mama.  He also loves to drive her to the brink of insanity on a regular basis but he makes up for it with his sweet smile and hugs. 

Anyway, back to my fun night...Reed and I got into a pretty good rhythm with our passing and catching and we both declared that we were awesome football players.  On the rare occasion that one of us made a bad pass or dropped one, he'd give a thumbs down and say "Wah, wah, wha"...you know what noise I'm talking about?  It was pretty funny.  After football we had a parade up and down the hallway and even had little Gaines marching with us.  I had the drum and Reed played the bells.  I can't remember what all else we did...puzzles, books...but I know we had a good time.  I always do whenever I just stop what I'm doing and give them my undivided attention.  Those boys of mine are awesome and I hope to make more of an intentional effort to soak them up while I can.

I'm going to list our other goings on in bullets.  Y'all know I love a good list.

*Gaines is spending all waking hours off oxygen.  That's pretty awesome news.  He's still on during naps and at night but we are making progress.
*Gaines' talking is improving.  He's now starting to use more words on his own and is also repeating more and more of what we ask of him.  Tonight when I gave him a bath, I poured water on his head to wash his hair.  I knew it was a little warm but he told me, "Ha, ha, ha" (hot, hot, hot).  That's big for him.
*Reed asked me the other day if I knew why he wore his flip flops so much.  I asked why and he said, "Because I look so awesome".
*Reed told my mom the other day that he and his friend got in trouble at school for spitting in the sand table (which I knew nothing about).  His defense was that they were "pretending to be dragons".
*When we order pizza, Beau likes to open the box as soon as it gets in the kitchen (and sit it under the kitchen fan) while we fix drinks, get plates, etc.  This drives me insane.  I don't know if he just wants to look at it as soon as he can or what but he obviously doesn't understand that it will stay warm if you leave the box closed.  Please pray for him.  I need God to impart some wisdom on him in this area of his life.   
*Gaines threw up tonight at dinner.  Like all over the high chair, floor and dinner table.  Luckily Beau and I were done.  Reed was not so fortunate.  I know it's because he's having to work a little harder to breathe since he's off oxygen so much right now.  Its a pattern of his.  Hopefully it won't last long.  He was mad as fire though when I took him out of his chair to put him in the bathtub.  I guess he wanted to finish his pizza.
*Gaines' favorite book right now is Brown Bear.  We read it about 46,000 times a day.
*Reed told me the other day that he had been in timeout that day.  I asked him why and he told me that he "had too much energies".
*I don't know if I was on a syrup high or what last night but this evening was not nearly as charmed as last night was.  I think the whole throw up thing threw us off.

I guess that's about it for now.

Love to all,

Brittany

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Your boys do sound awesome :) And how exciting that Gaines is off oxygen so much! That's great!

Candi said...

Since you love a good list, here ya go!
*Way to go Gaines!
*It is awesome to spend quality time with your kids and not worry about any mommy chores!
*I am in love with listening to my youngest daughter's speech develop. Her speech tickles me.
*I like the whole spitting in the sand pit because he was a dragon. He is too funny!
So glad your family is doing well!

kellie said...

Great post! Glad Gaines is doing so well, and that Reed is just adorable!

Mica said...

Miss hearing about the boys. Hope all is well.

NICOLE said...

I love that he has chosen to travel around the world with no shirt! As the mother of two boys, I am not surprised at all.