Thursday, June 24, 2010

My Boys

My little Gaines has been quite the handful lately. This child is into everything all the time and no matter where you are going or what you are doing, he’s right behind you. I tried to paint my toenails last night and got about half a toe painted and guess who showed up? Turn on the hair dryer and 3 seconds later you’ll see a little head pop around the corner with a big ole smile on his face. Don’t even think about loading or unloading the dishwasher. If he hears water running or dishes clanging, Gaines will be there. I seriously have to be very careful not to let the plates or silverware hit each other if I’m trying to put something in the dishwasher. That, and I do it very fast because I know if I stand still too long he’ll catch up to me. If he’s around, I’ll only open the dishwasher a crack and shove whatever it is in there. Kristen told me yesterday that she went to rinse off a dish to put it in the dishwasher and by the time she turned around, he was standing on the open door holding on to the top shelf.

Gaines loves to be held and feels like he’s entitled to be held 100% of the day. If he’s not being held he’s either begging to be held or asleep…and honestly, he takes the best naps when he’s being held. Lately, we’ve been trying to not just immediately pick him up when he wants…at some point he does need to learn that the world does not completely revolve around him, but that usually doesn’t go very well. He’s taken to gagging himself if he doesn’t get his way. I think it’s because when his reflux was so bad, anytime he’d gag we’d immediately quit what we were doing to attend to him. He knows what he’s doing. We’ve been working on understanding the word “no” and that screaming at the top of your lungs (no tears, just screaming) to get someone to pick you up is not acceptable. Usually it’s just an Ahhhh! scream but sometimes you get a high pitched girly scream. It’s lovely.

The good news is that he still gives his good hugs and is the best snuggler. He loves to put his forehead to yours and smile. It pretty much melts my heart. He’s also gotten a lot more fun with his inquisitiveness and since I can remember Reed being this way, I’m a little relieved that he’s doing “normal” things. Plus, Reed was a big fan of putting things in/playing in the toilet and thus far Gaines hasn’t seemed that interested in the toilet (other than flushing) so I guess I have that to be thankful for…or look forward to since I probably just jinxed myself.

Reed is still pretty well on a good streak. Deep down he loves Gaines but he’s not really a big fan of the way Gaines plays right now. Reed is a rough little boy but he doesn’t appreciate Gaines’ roughness when he’s trying to watch cartoons or something. Plus Gaines is a bit (understatement of the year) of a hair puller and I feel Reed’s pain on that one. I can barely be around Gaines without my hair in a pony tail.

Yesterday Reed was in the bathtub and Gaines was at his perch tub-side watching. I was in the kitchen (where I can see both of them) and I heard Reed telling Gaines “No, Gaines…that’s not the right thing! That’s not the right thing!” I went to check on the situation and Reed was upset with him for knocking his one of his “boys” (three plastic fish) from the side of the tub into the water. You know, a major devastation. However, there have been a lot of nights when Reed will entice Gaines over to the tub…Really sweetly he’ll say ”Come here Gaineser…” and when Gaines gets there, Reed makes a big splash and gets Gaines all wet. Which of course Gaines thinks is hilarious and encourages Reed all the more.

My sweet Reed has also started either repeating his prayers after me or saying them on his own and hearing his sweet little voice say his prayers is precious. And if he feels led to thank God for his Spiderman stickers some nights, it just makes me smile all the more.

That’s the update for now.

Love to all,

Brittany

3 comments:

Kelli said...

What a blessing that he is doing so well...well enough to be a handful! Praise God.

I gushed with awwwwws when I read about Reed thanking God for his Spiderman stickers...haha! That's soooo precious.

God bless,
Kelli from ugottafriend.com

jill said...

So cute! I love to hear how well Gaines is doing-I was praying for him when I heard about it on Angie's blog, but never posted her before. You need a picture of him on your sidebar to add to "our son Reed" and "our dog Jack'! Your boys are just adorable.

natalie said...

I busted out loud when I read about your antics to do things quickly!! I'd forgotten that M, my 4.5 year old, used to do the same exact thing with the dishwasher. I would literally let dishes stay in the sink all day so I could do them after she was in bed and get it done quickly. Now I try to make her help me and it's torture for her! :)